Wednesday 2 February 2011

I think I'm back!!

I've been MIA for a couple of weeks or so; I've been struggling with food and other issues (which would probably have been a good time for me to air my thoughts and feelings here!) but I think I'm getting back on track now.  To be perfectly honest, there have been precious few meals worthy of a photograph and description recently, but I was rather pleased with last night's dinner, so here it is:


The pasta (Tesco's chicken & mushroom tortellini) was a little stodgy (it had been frozen and I may have overcooked it) and doesn't photograph well, but the sauce was scrumptious: sautee a chopped onion, some snipped bacon and thinly-sliced mixed peppers in a little oil until cooked/softened (use a lid to prevent sticking and retain moisture), add a sprinkling of black pepper and paprika, then pour in some cream (single, double, soured - whatever you've got) and simmer until the sauce is the consistency you like (add milk to thin it down if necessary).  Chuck in the drained pasta & stir.

We had ours with a delicious Greek salad (tomatoes, onions, green pepper, cucumber, olives, feta cheese, mixed herbs, dried mint, lemon juice and olive oil), but any fresh salad would complement it well ... add some garlic bread too, if you fancy it!

V Easy to make this a vegetarian version by using a non-meat filled tortellini and swapping the bacon for sliced mushrooms ... equally as delicious!

This pretty much typifies the way I would like to eat all the time: an acceptable-sized portion of something homemade and delicious, accompanied by fresh (raw or lightly cooked) salads or vegetables.  I'm working towards it, but Rome wasn't built in a day ... and my 50-year food addiction will not be conquered in a couple of weeks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment