Saturday 5 March 2011

Fish 'n' chips ... with a difference!

Up to now I've done little more than pay lip service to supporting Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's "Fish Fight", but last night we had a meal I think even Hugh would have approved of!  While I always try to follow the guidelines for buying tinned tuna caught in the least harmful way (current information favours "caught by rod and line") and have added my name to the petition to stop the terrible wastage from discards, I had yet to commit fully to choosing different fish over those that are in danger of being overfished.

So, last night we had the traditional British staple of "fish and chips" but gave it a twist: we used mackerel fillets (we've always enjoyed mackerel and these were superb - well flavoured but without any oily aftertaste), which we dusted in seasoned flour and pan-fried, put a few lightly spiced potato wedges in the oven (ready-made, frozen ... we'd had a hard day!!) and added a generous portion of frozen peas.


Served with a slice of lemon and a side dish of soured cream flavoured with lemon juice, chives, tarragon and black pepper, this was a very satisfying and tasty plate of food that filled us up after a hard day's work on the new kitchen!

2 comments:

  1. cor you've made me hungry now..have just got into mackerel myself, thanks to hugh's fish fight..i did the mackerel baps with tartare sauce the other week - tasty - family said they liked but not to do them again (they're not batter fans like me) did the coley korma too, though my fussy lot prefer chicken korma..they prefer smoked mackerel too - doing that tonight with some salad....nom nom nom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Janie, sweetpea ... I love you dearly and appreciate your comments, but this one nearly didn't get published. I beg you, please, to refrain from using that expression (those last three "words") on my blog!! Please use the more traditional "yum yum yum" or something similar, as the above makes my stomach churn!!

    Anyway ... (sorry!)

    ... yes, I saw you'd done mackerel baps and wondered what they were (haven't checked out Hugh's recipe pages yet) I'll have to give them a try. Perhaps your "fussy lot" might like something similar to what we had last night? If they like mackerel but not batter, particularly, they might enjoy it simply floured and pan-fried with a few chips and peas? xx

    ReplyDelete