Thursday 5 April 2012

Chunky Vegetable Bake

V  Ok, I admit that from the photo this dish could be pretty much anything topped with a cheese sauce ... but what it actually was, was a "chunky vegetable bake" from a recipe on the back of a packet of Morrison's Pasta & Vegetable Mix. This is a combination of dried split peas, beans, lentils, pasta and (from the look of it) various floor sweepings! It's incredibly easy to cook; just put it in a large saucepan of water, boil for ten minutes, simmer for about forty minutes (until tender), then drain. (You may want to rinse it, too ... I did!)

Make your favourite cheese sauce (or any other flavour you fancy, I suppose) and set aside. Lightly fry some chunky chopped veg (I used onion, courgette, broccoli, red pepper and mushrooms) in a little oil, then add the cooked pasta mix, plenty of chopped fresh parsley and basil, then put it all in an ovenproof dish. Top with the sauce and a little grated Parmesan, if you like, and grill until it looks like this!


I used half a pack of dried mix and half of the end product was enough for two of us, so it's a cheap meal as well as being wholesome, easy, tasty and filling. I can't think of any negatives!

2 comments:

  1. I have to laugh when I see posts like this - I quite often make a delicious dish I just have to blog about, but the photograph comes out awful. I've now learned to ignore it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awful???

    I think it looks rather nice, actually! Just ... indistinguishable from anything else topped with a cheese sauce!

    ReplyDelete