Sunday 28 August 2011

Salmon & broccoli en croute

We had lunch out yesterday, so were only going to have a "light" meal for supper ... and this delicious pastry dish was certainly not "heavy", but was substantial enough for a main meal.  We served it very simply with a little extra sauce, a large salad and dollops of coleslaw/potato salad on the side.


I lightly steamed some fresh salmon and broccoli florets, and made a thick white sauce, seasoned and flavoured with dried tarragon; when the sauce was cooked, I removed it from the heat and added the juice of a lemon.  I flaked the fish, then bound it and the broccoli with some of the sauce.

I used a pack of ready-made puff pastry, which I halved and rolled out quite thin, then laid one piece on an oiled oven tray.  I brushed the edges with beaten egg, piled the filling all along the centre, then placed the other pastry sheet on top.  I rolled up the edges, brushing generously all over with the egg wash, then made diagonal slits across the top and "knocked up" the edges with a knife.  I cooked it for about 20-25 minutes in a med/hot oven (200 on my fan oven) and it was gorgeous!



V  To make a delicious and luxurious vegetarian "en croute" dish, lightly cook some of your favourite vegetables (maybe asparagus and mushrooms, for example?), make a beautiful creamy sauce, flavoured with whatever you like (you could even use wine or brandy, as long as you boil it in the sauce to cook off the alcohol); or make a simple, everyday version with roasted Mediterranean veg and cubes of feta cheese.  Use your imagination and try something different!

No comments:

Post a Comment