Wednesday 18 January 2012

Scallops in Wine and Cream Sauce

Almost two months since I last posted here ... disgraceful!! The main reason, actually, is an issue with my camera which turns everything yellow. I know it's probably a simple thing to rectify, but I just haven't got round to sorting it out yet. However ... I was so pleased with what I created last night, that I decided to post the yellow picture anyway!!

I've always been a little bit afraid of cooking fish and seafood; I'm ok with the obvious things - I can do salmon fillets, a pretty mean fish pie, Moules Marinieres - and I used to do gorgeous battered cod in the two pubs we ran, but the more subtle stuff scares me. I guess I'm worried I'm going to overcook it or lose all the flavour or something? I've eaten scallops before (love them!) but never actually cooked them myself, as far as I can remember ... so this little beauty of a dish marks a first for me!


I fried some tiny, frozen scallops (defrosted) in a little oil and garlic butter until almost cooked (only a few minutes), then added a few cooked king prawns (also defrosted). After stirring them together for a minute or two, I added some white wine (probably a bit too much, will hold back next time!!) and a sprinkle of tarragon. I let that come to the boil, added a bit of cornflour and water (already mixed together) to thicken, then finished off with a slug of double cream.

A very tasty and satisfying dish (hubby was making Homer Simpson noises while he ate!!), it needs only a hearty salad and a bit of garlic bread (made ours using a halved panini), both of which need to be almost ready before you start cooking, as it's a very speedy meal to prepare!

No comments:

Post a Comment