Thursday 6 January 2011

Beans and more beans!

Last month I made a delicious beef casserole, using meat from our local butcher (who sources his supplies locally) and I froze the surplus.  Last night I re-heated it and added half a tin of black-eyed beans (also known as black-eyed peas) for extra fibre and nutrition.  The beef, carrots and parsnips were still tender and retained their texture ... but the structure of the new potatoes that were also in it seemed to have broken down and their texture had become a bit like thick blotting paper!  Top tip: when making enough to freeze, leave out the spuds and cook them separately.


I served it with yet more beans - green beans or "French" beans - which were exactly the right flavour and texture to complement the casserole.




Benefits of beans
Beans are a legume, which are super nutritious, being full of protein and soluble fibre, low in fat and cholesterol and high in essential minerals.  As they are richer in resistant starch (more slowly digested by the body) they don't give the blood sugar spike of refined wheat and sugar ... and they can even help the body protect itself against chronic diseases, including cardiovascular disease, heart problems and cancer.
  They are a valuable element in a vegetarian diet, but also help to improve the nutritional intake of a meat eater.  All beans and other legumes are a healthy option and the most varied choices will bring the best dietary benefits.



4 comments:

  1. I love black-eyed beans! As a veggie not so much the beef :o)
    linking this to my cooking with beans lens on squidoo.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, thank you Angel xx

    (There will be a fairly high percentage of vegetarian food included here, too)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grew runnerbeans last year but although I love watching then grow we didn't eat that many which seems a waste - this year I'm going to allocate the space to broad beans which we eat a lot of. If you have inspiring runner bean recipes I might regret my decision though! Have you managed to grow any other beans?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't grown any beans yet, Allice - but I'm hoping to put that right this year! I think I've got French beans seeds, but I won't bother with broad beans as Warren doesn't like them ... weirdo!! LOL

    ReplyDelete