Monday 10 January 2011

Veggie Sunday Roast

V Sunday Roast without meat ... unthinkable???  Not at all.  Even confirmed carnivores can enjoy a luscious roast without meat or poultry, provided you make sure there are plenty of various textures, delicious flavours and (of course) a bit of protein for the nutritional aspect.


Yesterday I placed a halved butternut squash in a roasting dish, filled the hole (where the seeds were) with a tasty stuffing mix (I used a little Paxo and a variety of chopped, toasted nuts & seeds, a chopped tomato, Harissa paste, etc, etc ... make up your own!) and surrounded it with chunks of potato, onion, garlic and carrot.  I gave it all a scattering of black pepper, rosemary and sunflower/olive oil then covered it with foil and put it in the oven on a high heat.


After about 3/4 hour I gave the veg a stir about, grated some cheese over the stuffed squash and put it back in the oven - uncovered - for another 15 minutes.  I served it with some stir-fried French beans and mushrooms and some red cabbage (braised in red wine, sugar & vinegar, with apple and onion) that I had frozen from a previous batch.


The photo doesn't do it justice, I'm afraid ... it all looks a bit burned and greasy and unappealing, I know, but in fact it was quite scrummy!  (I was rushing a bit, to get back to watching Dancing On Ice!!)






I'll be doing this one again, for sure!

2 comments:

  1. Wow sounds great,and it looked yummy too.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was! ... Of course, if I was a TV chef, I wouldn't call the roast veg "burned and greasy", I'd call it "caramelised" LOL !!

    ReplyDelete