Thursday 1 September 2011

Ham and mushroom pasta

Not exactly a "Carbonara", but a tasty substitute when I haven't the time (or can't be bothered!!) to follow a recipe.  I simply sauteed chopped onion and mushrooms in a little oil (covering the pan to help form some juice), made a roux with a little flour, added milk and brought to the boil.  Near the end of cooking, I added strips of tasty ham, just to heat through.  Meanwhile I boiled some pasta (wholemeal & white mixed), arranged a salad garnish on the plates and made some proper garlic bread!

When everything else was ready, I finished off the sauce with a bit of cream and served in bowls, topped with Italian seasoning and thin shavings of Parmesan cheese ... which melted flat while I was setting up the photo!!  Never mind, delicious it was indeed.

V  To make this one "veggie" is simple ... just leave out the ham!  The Parmesan gives some protein, so there's really no need to add anything else, although you may want to increase the seasonings/flavourings ... perhaps with a little smoked paprika?


No comments:

Post a Comment