Friday 6 May 2011

Baked sea bass

Surprisingly - as a fish lover - I've never tried sea bass before, but they were on offer in Morrison's yesterday (2 for £5) so we bought a couple and Warren baked them in foil, stuffed with herbs and topped with lemon.  Once you got past the bones (similar to mackerel, but not as many little ones) the flesh was light and delicate, almost "creamy" in flavour and texture.  We had it with buttered new potatoes and a simple stir-fried vegetable mix of courgettes (zucchini), onion, tomatoes and mushrooms.

I really enjoyed this light, fresh-tasting meal, but was slightly disappointed in the flavour of the fish; I had been told in the past that sea bass was a full-flavoured, meaty type of fish and was expecting more "depth" to it.  I suspect the reason was the size of the fish; they were very small and therefore probably very young. On the whole, I probably would have preferred mackerel, to be honest.  I will definitely try sea bass again, but will go for one larger fish that can be shared between two or more people.

No comments:

Post a Comment