Wednesday 11 May 2011

A sausagey thing!

No name for this dish, I'm afraid ... it was just something I threw together using sausages!

We had some veg left over in the fridge from before our weekend away, which needed using up, so I defrosted some sausages and cooked up this tasty little number!  I sauteed a couple of leeks (sliced in rings) in some oil, then added a chopped courgette and some quartered chestnut mushrooms; I also pressed a huge clove of smoked garlic into the pan at this stage (we had bought a bulb of it at Darts Farm, near Topsham, on our way home on Monday) and the last few slices of a chorizo.  When this was all cooked nicely (about 15 minutes or so, and I stirred it around from time to time) I added a tin of chopped tomatoes, some black pepper and a few shakes of Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce.

Meanwhile, I had cooked the sausages in the oven until brown; these were added to the pan of sauce for the last few minutes, just to blend everything together, then I served it with a jacket potato.  Simple, quick, cheap, wholesome and delicious ... what more could you ask for?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious, Val. I've never heard of smoked garlic before. Does it taste any different to fresh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it's certainly not an overpowering flavour, Helen - but we both thought there was a subtle hint of warmth from the smokiness. However, I had added the chorizo, so we might have tasted it more without that in it!

    ReplyDelete