Friday 15 July 2011

Fish pie ... "food combining" style!

(Tuesday night's meal - 12th July)

Hubby and I love a good fish pie, but mixing protein (ie fish) and carbs (ie potato) is against the basic premise of food combining, which is how we are choosing to eat at the moment ... so, I improvised!  I used the same mixed fish (packs available at the fish counter of most major supermarkets, or get some from your monger) and baked it in a little milk and tarragon.  Meanwhile I made a root mash, using swede, carrot and parsnip, seasoned with black pepper and mashed with butter.

When the fish was just cooked, I added some sweetcorn kernels and some natural yogurt to the dish, piled the root mash on top and finished off with some grated cheddar.  I put it back into the oven to heat through and brown, then served it with some steamed sugar snaps.  Hubby thought it was delicious, but I wasn't convinced ... for me, the strong flavours of the swede and parsnip were fighting with the delicate fish and I only really enjoyed each of the bits separately.  It just didn't work as a whole dish, for me; having said that, it was near enough for me to try altering the proportions and give it another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment