Sunday 31 July 2011

Stuffed Marrow

Although the photo doesn't look very appetising, this was actually a tasty and filling meal.  I cooked some lean Scottish minced beef in a frying pan, with onions, garlic, tomato puree, a little Lea & Perrin's, black pepper and beef stock; then I peeled and de-seeded a small marrow (halving it lengthwise), which I placed in a small roasting tin and filled with the mince mixture.  I put a little water in the bottom of the tin, topped the mince with grated cheese and sliced tomato, then covered it all with foil.  I cooked it in a fairly hot oven for about 3/4 hour, removing the foil halfway through to let the top brown nicely.

I served this with some re-heated roast vegetables left over from the night before (which I seriously overcooked!!), some steamed carrots and cauliflower cheese.  A traditional meal that is, I think, served all too rarely these days.  Marrows are also extremely easy to grow, so would be even cheaper than buying ... which is already pretty cheap!

V  I think a rich, savoury mince is essential when filling such a bland vegetable, so try using Quorn mince and follow the recipe above ... but be very careful not to overcook it!  Alternatively, make up your favourite nutroast recipe, spice it up a bit, and use that instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment