Tuesday 5 April 2011

Big Salad Lunch

V  My hubby knows how to treat me well: take me to a Harvester restaurant for dinner!!  Yes, yes, I know their meals are old-fashioned, uninspired and boring (we've even had the odd one that was inedible!); I know their fare is a million miles away from that of Michel Roux, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall or even the Masterchef finalists; I know they pack diners in by the hundred like a NAAFI canteen and their staff are often more interested in chatting each other up than serving their customers ... BUT ...

I love the salad cart!!  I would actually be happy enough to just have a bowl of salad from their salad cart, a bread roll and one of their ice cream sundaes for dessert!  (I don't, because I don't think they would let me ... but that's what I would like!)  Very little pleases my palate more than a big bowlful of mixed salad and accompaniments, topped with a tasty dressing and maybe a few croutons.  So I have decided - partly because I'm trying to eat more healthily (that was my original plan when starting this blog, remember? LOL) and partly because I just love it so much - to try to recreate as near as possible the delicious mix I get at the Harvester salad cart in my own kitchen, for lunch each day.


Today's glorious array of goodies consisted of lettuce, watercress, mustard & cress, cucumber, red pepper, beetroot, sweetcorn, gigantes (Greek-style butter beans) and coleslaw.  My "toppings" choices of the day were Caesar dressing and balsamic glaze.  Absolutely scrumptious!

2 comments:

  1. Hooooray, I found you Val! Adding your blog to ones I follow. BTW YUM! Great salad choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL - I wasn't hiding, Sarah! Glad you "found" me, anyway xxx

    ReplyDelete