Wednesday 13 April 2011

Sausages with style!

I usually either grill sausages or cook them in the oven, but last night I decided to chuck them in the pan with the large chunks of onion I was frying off in a little oil.  They browned quite nicely (as did the onions) and then I added some sliced peppers and mushrooms, along with a few halved cherry tomatoes.  I held back on the flavourings, adding only a light sprinkling of mixed herbs and a little black pepper, then poured on some thick-ish gravy (made with Bisto granules, in this instance).

Meanwhile, I had popped some frozen spicy wedges into the oven and prepared some curly kale (again - love it!) which only needed a couple of minutes' cooking when the sausages were properly cooked through.  It wasn't the most spectacular of meals, but (considering I hadn't had a brilliant day) was very tasty and at least contained a few fresh vegetables!



V  A veggie version of sausage casserole?  Sure ... why not?  Just use your favourite meat-free sausages (there are plenty of options around), cooking them as instructed, while frying off the onion and other veg in a pan.  Bisto also do vegetarian granules (although if you check out their "meat" gravies, I think you'll find there are no animal ingredients in them, either!) so you can simmer the casserole away in that for a while ... just be careful not to overcook the sausages, as most vegetarian sausages (particularly Quorn) are best cooked quite quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment