Sunday 5 June 2011

Beefburgers and salad

We were going to have a barbecue last night, as it had been such a beautiful day, but the weather turned cloudy, windy and quite cool in the late afternoon, so we griddled some good-quality burgers and served them with a Greek salad indoors instead.

We also had some crudités and houmous, griddled courgettes (from a jar), gigantes (tinned Greek butter beans in tomato sauce) and homemade peppadew and yogurt dip.  (My husband and son also had a pitta bread each, but I didn't - reason given below.*)

V  This was a lovely, light meal and would work equally well with vegeburgers!


* The reason I decided not to have a pitta bread (which I love!) with this meal, is that I have decided to try food combining, as in the "Hay diet", although I am doing it for health reasons, not weight loss ... any weight loss that occurs (and by all accounts it will) will be a very welcome bonus, but my main aim is to ease the digestive problems that I have been suffering for much of the last 6-12 months.

It looks very simple to me and, actually, not a million miles away from the Slimming World concept of "Original Days" and "Green Days" dieting, on which I once lost 5 stone, felt incredibly healthy and had loads of energy.  (In fact, the only reason I don't return to Slimming World is that I have sworn never to follow another slimming diet, for the rest of my life!  In the long term, they don't work - whereas changing your attitude to food and to yourself, does!  I want to make my health and valuing myself my prime motives ... not losing weight, although obviously there is some crossover there.)

Anyway ...

I found this meal (protein and salad, plus pulses) extremely easy to digest, not to mention delicious!  I look forward to plenty of other tasty, nutritious meals ... that won't give me heartburn, flatulence or excess stomach acid!

No comments:

Post a Comment