Friday 10 June 2011

Vegetable pasta bake

V  This was not really what I usually call a "pasta bake", as there was no binding sauce to speak of and no cheesy breadcrumb topping!  It was, however, very tasty and filling, quick and easy to prepare, relatively cheap and extremely wholesome.  It also fitted into the criteria for a "carbohydrate meal" on the Hay diet.

I started off by doing my regular roast vegetable thing - chopped up veg in a roasting tin with oil, herbs & black pepper, covered it with foil and into a hot oven for half an hour, stirred in a few shakes of Lea & Perrin's, then left off the foil for another half hour.  On this occasion, I used aubergine, courgettes, mushrooms, mixed peppers, carrots and onion.

Meanwhile, I cooked some pasta shapes and added them when the veg had finished cooking, along with some tinned sweetcorn and a few small chunks of Feta cheese. (I sprinkled the Feta with some dried mint for an authentic Greek flavour.)  This all went back in the oven for about 10 minutes, until the Feta was browned and beginning to melt a bit.

I didn't serve anything else with this; we simply enjoyed eating it from a bowl with a fork - it was gorgeous!


We also indulged in a little dessert last night ... I'm still not completely sure of what the Hay diet says about desserts, but I am sure that, although I'm choosing to eat this way the majority of the time, I will still have the occasional sweet treat!  Anyway, this was a light concoction of chopped fresh peach in sugar-free jelly (hubby is diabetic), topped with a little ready-made custard and whipped cream ... with a sprinkle of Kenco's new Millicano coffee.  Very nice, refreshing pud!

No comments:

Post a Comment