Thursday 16 June 2011

Creamy vegetables with jacket potato

V  I thought it was time we had a carbohydrate-based main meal last night, as we've had protein-based evening meals for several days in a row ... so this is what I came up with!  Basically, I put a little oil in the bottom of a heavy-bottomed casserole dish (Le Creuset, actually - brilliant stuff!) and just threw in the chopped vegetables in order of cooking time.

I started with carrots, parsnips and celery (do use parsnips, if you can, as they give a lovely sweet flavour to the finished dish) and covered it tightly with the lid, so the veg would "steam" and make its own juices; next I put in some whole shallots and courgette chunks and gave everything a good stir; finally, I added in some mixed peppers and a couple of huge mushrooms.  The only flavourings I added were some black pepper and (just before the end) some smoked paprika.  I sprinkled in a little plain flour, stirred it in, then finished off with a tablespoon or two of cream.  It was all brought to the boil to thicken, then served on a lovely buttery jacket potato!  Deeee-lish!

No comments:

Post a Comment