Wednesday 8 June 2011

Roast butternut squash & mixed vegetable korma

V  Phwooaaarrr!!!  This was a lush meal!  Still trying to follow the principles of "food combining", we went for a carbohydrate meal last night, so no protein.  Instead we had roast butternut squash and mixed vegetable korma, basmati rice, aloo sag (spiced potato & spinach), naan bread and minted cucumber.  It was probably too large a portion, actually (I couldn't finish all my rice), and we perhaps shouldn't have had three types of carb in one meal (rice, potatoes and bread) ... but we are still very much in the trial stages of this eating style and finding out what we can, and can't, eat together in one meal.

First I peeled, de-seeded and chopped the squash, then roasted it in oil; meanwhile, I put various other chopped veg into a large, heavy-bottomed casserole dish with some oil and cooked them with the lid on, stirring occasionally.  (I used onion, peppers, courgettes, mushrooms and carrot, but any combination would do.)  When the veg was nearly cooked, I added some vegetable stock (Knorr "jellified"), some curry powder, a little water and a sachet of creamed coconut.  When the squash had roasted and browned nicely, I added that to the curry along with some cream.  Gorgeous!

For the aloo sag, I peeled and cubes some potatoes, boiled them until just tender, then drained them and let them steam dry for a few minutes.  Then I fried some spices in oil (cumin, mustard seeds, chilli flakes, garam masala, etc - use your own favourites) before adding the potatoes and stir-frying them for a while, then (at the last minute) stirring in some washed, fresh spinach (or drained, frozen) to wilt.

I chopped up some cucumber very finely and added a couple of teaspoons of mint sauce (can't have yogurt with a "starch meal", so no raita), then served it alongside the curry and aloo sag, with a little rice and a mini naan bread.  Scrumptious!

No comments:

Post a Comment