Wednesday 22 June 2011

Vegetable risotto and Greek salad

V   We decided to have a "starch meal" (carbohydrate) last night, so plumped for a nice vegetable risotto.  The "Hay Diet" that we are sort-of following recommends only using whole grains, but I don't know if it's possible to get brown risotto rice; we used standard Arborio rice, on this occasion, but I will check that out.

First, I fried some small lengths of asparagus and thickly-sliced chestnut mushrooms in oil, with some black pepper and the lid on.  When they were beginning to soften, I added the rice (far too much, actually!!) and stirred that into the oil and vegetable juices, before replacing the lid.  After a few minutes, I stirred it all again and added about 3/4 pint of vegetable stock.  I left this cooking for around 15 minutes, adding more stock/water as necessary and some frozen peas and tinned sweetcorn when it was nearly finished.  The only other flavouring I added was a couple of shakes of Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce.

We had this with a big Greek salad (sans olives, as we didn't have any!) and some buttered olive bread ... which made up for the missing olives from the salad!



No comments:

Post a Comment